Avoid Impaired Driving
July 11, 2011
Summer is here and with it comes increased traffic on Cape Cod. With our booming tourist industry, the roads and restaurants on the Cape can get pretty crowded. As you're out and about this summer, make sure to stay safe and avoid impaired driving! The Center for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that about 30 people die every day as a result of drunk driving, and about one third of all car crashes are a result of drunk driving. In addition, drunk driving accidents resulted in nearly 11,000 deaths in 2009, and account for about $51 billion in damage as a result of car crashes. Be safe, and keep some of these tips in mind while you're driving:
- Determine who is going to be the designated driver before you and your friends start drinking.
- Program your local taxi company's number into your phone, and make sure to use it if you and your friends are not fit to drive.
- If you're going to a friend's house for a party, make arrangements to stay over ahead of time, even if you don't plan on staying, just in case you need a backup plan.
- If you're leaving a party or restaurant and notice one of your friends trying to drive home, offer them a ride home if you're sober, or maybe share a cab with them.
- If you're hosting a party, be responsible and look out for your friends. Offer to let people stay over your house if need be.
Have a fun summer and be safe, for your sake, and for the sake of others!