Planning Your Vacation Away from Home
June 13, 2011
As the summer season rolls into gear and families begin making plans for vacation, make sure to take a look at some of our tips for avoiding problems while you're gone, especially if you're leaving for an extended period of time.
- Suspend mail and newspaper deliveries.
- Arrange to have your lawn mowed and use automatic lighting timers to discourage break-ins.
- Adjust your thermostat.
- Arrange to have a friend, neighbor, or family member to spot check while you're away.
- Unplug non-essential electronics and appliances, such as computers, lamps, clock-radios, etc.
- Turn off your water; doing so will stop a potential minor leak from turning into a major flood.
- Leave a set of car keys with a neighbor or friend if you leave a car behind, in case it might need to be moved.
- If you have an alarm, make sure someone you trust has access to the cancellation codes. Notify the fire department and police department that you will be away and give them your trusted friend's contact information so that they know who to go to for problems with the house.
Stay safe, enjoy your vacation, and have a great summer!