Stay Afloat With These Summertime Safety Tips
May 11, 2023
Blog Post by Douglas MacDonald, President, CPCU, CIC, CRM
As Cape Cod rolls into Memorial Day weekend, beaches open, boats hit the water, and the summertime festivities begin! Waterskiing, fishing, cruising, tubing, exploring, and so much more for you, and the whole family. Would you like to help make certain that these moments continue well into the future?
According to the US Coat Guard, over 1,500 accidents occurred on the water in 2021 due to collisions with another vessel or fixed objects. Common injuries include broken bones, concussions, and even fatalities. This is due to operator inexperience, improper lookouts, excessive speed, operating under the influence and violation of navigation rules.
A personal watercraft policy can provide coverage for many water related risks:
- Bodily Injuries
- Damage to other watercraft or property
- Damage to your boat
- Guest passenger liability
- Medical payments
- Theft, and more
The following tips can help you prepare for a summer on the water to ensure the safety of you, your boat, and your passengers.
- Consider hiring a boating coach to teach you new boating skills
- Sign up for a boating safety course with family members
- Become familiar with the boating “Rules of the Road”
- Use comfortable, properly fitted life jackets
- YouTube has many hours of boating instruction on a wide range of topics
For a complimentary review that suites your summer plans, call us at 800-800-8990 or visit us at www.riskadvice.com to schedule an appointment with a certified risk advisor.